Top 15 Helpful Moving Tips
Moving into a new house is exciting and stressful all at the same time. Proper planning and organizing can make the whole moving process a lot easier and stress-free. To get you going, we’ve put together a list of helpful moving tips that can make your packing and moving more enjoyable.
- Use your clothes to wrap breakable items like dishes and glasses.
- Use blanket sheets, stuffed animals, and pillows for padding and space fillers to avoid shaking inside your moving box.
- Use socks as extra padding for your glasses and stemware.
- Write down a list of what’s inside your boxes and label the boxes accordingly. Include which room the box should be placed in.
- Take a snapshot of the cords attached to your electronic appliances before disconnecting them to be boxed up. This will help you remember how you are going to set up your appliances in your new house.
- Use a clear plastic box for the items you will need first when you move into your new place. This will allow you to see what’s inside and separate it from the cardboard boxes. The items you can put inside the clear plastic box are a box cutter, eating utensils, selected cookware, phone chargers, toilet paper, tools, etc.
- Use sandwich bags for holding and keeping small parts like the screws for curtain rods or your mounted flat-screen TVs.
- Minimize your cardboard boxes and use your baskets, hampers, laundry bins and suitcases instead. Use wheeled suitcases for heavy things like your favourite books.
- Keep lightweight items in your drawers. This will save you time packing and unpacking,
- Keep your drawers shut by using plastic wrap. This will also help keep the items in their intended container.
- Pack an overnight bag with all the essential items for your first night.
- If you have a lot of valuable furniture and items, it’s better to hire removalists. Most removalists include insurance for your move as well.
- When hiring a professional for your move, make sure to read the terms and conditions carefully.
- Defrost your fridge at least a day before your move to avoid a wet mess getting into your new house.
- Celebrate your move! Have yourself a bottle of champagne or whiskey, or any drink for a job well done!
CC Image Courtesy of aprilandrandy on Flickr