The Essentials of Silk and Leather Upholstery Cleaning
Your upholstered furniture brings elegance to your home décor but mostly comes with a high price tag. Cleaning and proper maintenance can prolong the life of your investment piece and retain its original beauty.
Keeping your upholstery looking freshly cleaned is not as difficult as you might think, and the investment definitely pays off as it can last for many years. Read on for the essential tasks you must do to retain your furniture’s beauty and value.
Silk furniture is an expensive investment and should be properly cleaned and maintained.
- Start with vacuuming the entire surface of the furniture to remove dust, pet dander, hair and other particles. Make a mixture of cold water and mild laundry detergent. Silk can be cleaned with a soft cloth dipped in this homemade solution. Always conduct spot testing before you proceed to clean the silk.
- Avoid placing your silk furniture in direct sunlight.
- Spills should be treated immediately to avoid stains on your silk.
- Do not use a hair dryer in drying wet spots as the heat may cause the fabric to shrink.
Cleaning Leather Upholstery
After you purchase your leather furniture, retailers or manufacturers usually provide a manual for your leather’s maintenance.
There are various cleaning methods for different types of leather. If you are not sure what type of leather material you have, refer to the manufacturer’s tag.
- Remove the dust, pet hair and dirt accumulated on your leather furniture by thorough vacuuming. After vacuuming, wipe it down with a piece of slightly damp, soft white cloth, and then dry it with another piece of soft white cloth. The cloth should be white to prevent dye transfer to your leather.
- Avoid using household cleaners like soap or detergent as they may cause the colour to fade and damage your leather.
- There are products that can make your leather sticky, too shiny and tacky. It is best to follow instructions and use the leather cleaner recommended by your leather manufacturer.
Here at Bond Cleaning Australia, our professionals utilise proper cleaning techniques to keep your furniture in great condition.